Exoskeletons for maintenance & repair work
The maintenance, repair, and overhaul (MRO) sector faces the same challenges as manufacturing industries: an aging workforce and a lack of skilled workers. Work-related musculoskeletal disorders (WMSD) are a major cause for lost workdays and one of the greatest burden for the global economy when measured by compensation costs, lost wages, and lost productivity. Maintenance workers are exposed to the highest risk rates of WMSDs.
Our portfolio of exoskeletons offers various innovative devices to face this challenge in the shipbuilding, rail & rolling stock as well as aviation industry. Ottobock Paexo develops state-of-the-art wearable technology that helps people protect their health over the long term as they carry out their demanding everyday working routines.
Paexo Shoulder for overhead and above-shoulder work
The focus in this sector is on the Paexo Shoulder, an exoskeleton for overhead work and work on or above-shoulder height. The personal assistive system, which is worn on the body, supports employees globally during maintenance, repair and even overhaul work and when carrying out demanding activities such as overhead and welding work. In addition, the Paexo Neck can provide relief to the cervical spine during overhead work, e.g. installations or inspections. It can be worn in combination with the Paexo Shoulder. Using exoskeletons reduces physical strain and protects the musculoskeletal system. This is also confirmed in several studies and analyses.
Have a look at the different applications below and ask us about your specific use case!
The Paexo Shoulder supports employees globally in all kinds of transport-related industries, such as rail, rolling stock, busses, metros and trams. It is used by employees during maintenance intervals and repair work, such as:
- Underbody work, e.g. bogie overhaul, engine repairs or paint work
- Breaks exchange
- Mechanical installations & Mounting: e.g. underbody/ underframe, pipes, traction looming, structural assembly
- Electrical installations: either within the cars, at doors or ceiling level and underneath the covers
Our exoskeleton can support in every stage of light and heavy maintenance and has been used during various A, B, C and D-Checks. Some example for use cases in the aviation MRO industry within the different stages are:
- Structural assembly of mechanical parts to fuselage and interior
- Riveting activities
- on fuselage (body of airplane)
- inside and outside wings
- Electronic installations overhead inside fuselage and cockpit (ceiling and walls)
- Maintenance of airplane engines
- Pretreating, sanding and paint coating of wings or full airplane
- Cleaning of airplane body
- Fuel tank refill